Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

IIS DR. DAN STILL THERE? I WOULD LIKE TO ASK HIM MY QUESTION.I

IIS DR. DAN STILL THERE...
IIS DR. DAN STILL THERE? I WOULD LIKE TO ASK HIM MY QUESTION.
I cared for a crow that was rescued for 12 years. He lived in an outdoor aviary and had a group of crow friends that have stopped by several times a day for the last 8 years. I fed my crow (Russell) each morning and gave the outside crows some food too. They passed food between the wires and were friendly.
Last week Russell inadvertently escaped. He came back in the cage, but was so upset by being confined, I let him go again.
He is not part of the group of his friends. My question is: Is there anything I can do to make his transition easier (like continue to feed him and friends)? Also, I worry that with the pecking order, Russell may get let out of the good food or may not get enough. Also, although it seems Russell is good with the group, is it possible they may kick him out?
THANK YOU
8/11/2013
Camille-Mod

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

At ThIs Time I Would Like To Wait For Dr Dan. Can ILet You Know If It Is TooLong To Wait And I Want Someone else?

Thank You

Marcia

Hi Marcia, sure, just let me know, thank you :-)

It Seems That Dr. Dan Is Not Around. I Would LikeSomeoneWho Is Available and On Duty To AnswerMy Question Please. THank You.

Marcia

Hi Marcia, I am opening your question to the other professionals now, thank you for your continued patience:-)
Camille

I JUST REALIZED AN ERROR IN MY QUESTION.

I MEANT TO SAY " HE IS NOW PART OF THE GROUP." I WROT " NOT PART OF THE GROUP" By MISTAKE.

thank you for that correction, I will pass it on :-)

Hi, WHen Can I ExpectA Reply From The Expert?

Thank You.

marcia

Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi there,
So sorry about the delay. How is Russell doing?

Crows are very social animals, so I'm not surprised he likes being with his friends so much. Since he's been interacting with these birds across the cage for so long, it's likely that he's already developed some relationship with him.

I think that continuing to feed all of them is a good idea, as they all have come to see your home as a good place to get food. If you can replace some or all of your food with pelleted bird food, this reduces the chances some birds will get higher quality food than others, since all the pellets have the same nutritional quality.

I would recommend watching the birds feed. I think since they have shared food with him in the past, it should not be too much of a problem, but if you see that he is being pushed out, you might put some food in his aviary and some outside so that he can eat in the cage if he wants without being totally confined.

While there may be a squabble within the group from time to time, it's not likely that the other crows will kick him out due to their very social nature. Russell is by nature a very intelligent bird, and I'm sure he will learn to adapt to his new freedom.

Crows are short-distance migrators (as little as a few miles from their nesting sites) and Russell may or may not migrate with his friends. Keeping his aviary available and open for him to use if he wants and putting a little of his food in there may be comforting to him, especially if he doesn't feel the door will close and he will be separated from his friends.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

Thank You. XXXXX That I Did Leave The Cage Door Open And He Went In But Could NOt Find His Way Out Again. He Became Very Agitated And I Had To Get Him Out. This Happened Twice And I Worry It Will Happen When I Am Not Home And He Will Hurt Himself. Any Solution ? Also, Is There A Name For The Bird Pellets?

Thank You.

marcia

I would suggest only leaving the cage open while you're home and feeding him. I think he will do fine outside if you're not around, and that it is safer for him to be outside if he gets so upset about being stuck in the cage. In time, he will likely figure out going in and out, and you may be able to leave it open more (if you want). The main reason for leaving it open, in my opinion, is to give him a place to eat if the others are pushing him away from the outside food.

Zupreem makes a very good pelleted bird food in several varieties. The medium or medium/large sizes would be appropriate. Drs Foster and Smith have similar products available under their own brand, which may be less expensive.
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian