Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Hi - my dog had a seizure two weeks ago. In the past hour or

so, he seems to be...
Hi - my dog had a seizure two weeks ago. In the past hour or so, he seems to be acting a little strange. He seems anxious and keeps hiding under the bed. Is this a type of seizure or behavior leading up to one?
8/10/2013
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You may be seeing the prodromal (initial) stage of a seizure which is often indicated by a change in behavior such as you've described. This stage may be the only stage of seizure you witness or it can progress to the more commonly recognized behavior of a generalized seizure - tonic/clonic muscular contractions, vocalization, and incontinence. Autonomic signs such as salivating, vomiting, and or diarrhea are also possible.

It would be prudent to keep a close watch on your dog by preventing his hiding. Most seizures abate within 5-10 minutes but some persist (status epilepticus) and necessitate a vet's attention. Status epilepticus needs to be addressed by heavy sedation or anesthesia.

How old and what breed is your dog? What behavior did you see when he seized two weeks ago?
Hi - you helped me a two weeks ago. My dog is 6 year old chihuahua. He had his first seizure about 1 year and 8 months ago. He had another one about a year ago and one just two weeks ago. When he has one he becomes clearly disoriented - he keeps walking backwards. It is over in a minute. He is usually panting heavily and then seems to be completely back to normal in 30 minutes He is currently on .4 cc of potassium bromide.

He has been acting strange for about 30 minutes - his tail his wagging and he is eating.
Ah! Yes, I recall the backward-ness. We spoke just 12 days ago. I can't know how his current behavior is going to plan out so I need you to stay with him until he either normalizes or seizes. As I mentioned previously, I'll usually accept one mild seizure monthly before either initiating therapy or changing the dose of the anticonvulsive. We should consider increasing his bromide if his seizures cluster - become more frequent and in close proximity with each other.

Keep me posted, please.
Ok I will. I am going to stay home and see how he does. Thank you!
Sounds good. I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Is it normal for him to want to chew on a bully stick? This is normal for him, but wondering what signs I should look for?
It sounds to me that he has already normalized. I wouldn't expect any of the symptoms you've previously seen when he seizes to appear at this time but you need to remain vigilant.
Ok I will. He is still trying to find a place to hide. That is the only unusual behavior.
I'm sure he's anxious. I'll speak to you soon.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you once again.
May I have an update, please?
Hi - thanks for checking. He is doing much better today. This morning he kept hiding, but this afternoon he was just fine. He was okay all last night. I think it might be a behavioral issue. When dogs get depressed does that happen? My husband has been out of town and her got back today.
We do see behavior changes with depression. I can understand becoming reclusive; hiding under the bed is more than I would expect, however. In any event, I never argue with success. If he's acting OK now, I'm happy.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian