Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My kitten (4months old) got bitten by big dog nxt door; i was

not present. I took him...
My kitten (4months old) got bitten by big dog nxt door; i was not present. I took him to vet & was given antibiotics; and had big swelling on his back part(top); vet then xrayed and surgery: placed drainage (from swelling) to drain pus and fracture on spine : but able to jump on couch and walk; I picked him up from vet(as he stayed overnight)vet this am; by 3:30pm one of the drainage was secreting liquid (smelt like diarrhea) I took him back to vet; said possibillity a punctured bowel from the bite. My question would this be the case ???OR CAN THE INITIAL SURGERY PLACING DRAINAGE HAD CAUSED THIS????? THE VET NOW SUGGESTED TO UNDERGO ANOTHER SURGERY TO STICH THE BOWEL IF THAT IS THE CASE....PLS HELP ; YOUR THOUGHTS; HE LOOKS FINE; WILL HE LIVE????
8/7/2013
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the terrible time you've had with your kitten and his injuries. Did the smelly liquid seeping from the wound look like diarrhea (brown)?

yes to all your question. now the vet wants to open him to find the cut from his bowel. It has stopped this am; he looks well; ;no major down fall on his breathing etc. Could this be pus????? Just worried we could also commence unneccesary surgery???? what should i do.

Thank you Merle.Interesting enough, I was called in to my clinic today to treat a cat with a cat bite abscess that smelled exactly as you've described. The bowel was not involved at all, the pus just smelled that way. The pus that came out of the wound was yellow and very foul smelling. As I can't actually see little Sox to try to determine just what is going on, I can only tell you that if this was truly a perforated bowel leaking through the skin, I would expect Sox to feel much worse than he apparently does. A serious fracture of the spine should cause some degree of paralysis, and a perforated bowel is hard to imagine originating from a wound located on top of his back, but the placement of a drainage tube should not have caused any of the symptoms you've described. Infections can, however,theoretically be introduced any where the skin is broken. Looking at the whole picture, it sounds like the kitten is responding to treatment, but the pus and associated toxins need to be expressed from the wound, and the wound kept clean using 3% hydrogen peroxide or chlorhexidine surgical scrub as a flush. If you don't trust your veterinarian's advice or treatment, an alternative opinion should be sought for your peace of mind. If you have further questions, please let me know.Kind regards,Dr.Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hi Merle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sox. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob

Dr Bob.

I cannot thank you enough for your answers. YOU have saved Sox un necessary surgery & saved un necessary bills. Without your input; i would not have known any better but hand my kitten over to unreliable source that i thought i could trust for my kittens well being. I have now learnt that it is always best to have second opinion or third to make sound judgement . AGAIN; thank you , thank you. You knew exactly what was wrong with Sox!!! God Bless and keep up the good work!! EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE.......& THANK YOU FOR CARING.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know how Sox is doing, Merle. I'm delighted to have been able to help you and him. You are one of the folks who make my profession a real joy, and I'll take that blessing! Give Sox a pat from Dr. Bob.
Warmest regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian