Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My son save up and purchased his very own Guinea pig.I would

My son save up and purchased his very own Guinea pig.I would like information on nail clipping....is this a job for a vet, does Petsmart do this or do we do this at home? We love our little Bella, and want the best care for her...thankyou.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Any of the above! Trimming guinea pig nails is not difficult, although not all guinea pigs like it. So if Bella is difficult to hold, you might want to take her to your regular vet and have it done.

Dr. Scarlett :

But now is a good time to get her used to it. I use a cat nail trimmer (they are smaller). You can usually trim the nails back to be somewhat flush with the paw.

Customer:

Hi Dr Scarlett, we do not have a vet as of yet, will any vet do this?

Dr. Scarlett :

Almost any vet will trim guinea pig nails. It isn't a bad idea to look around for a vet that specializes in pocket pets, but while I won't see them for medical problems (I just don't see enough and I don't carry the usual meds to treat them), I would certainly trim their nails.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'll bet your son has done a lot of research on Bella, but here are a couple of sites that might be useful, too: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=684

Dr. Scarlett :

Vit C supplementation is VERY critical in pigs, as they don't make their own. This site has a good list of fresh vegies & fruits with high Vit C content: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2750

Customer:

Thankyou very much, we purchased Bella at Petsmart, and I see they have nail trimmers in store. Should her first trim be done by a vet so we know what to do, and then done at home?

Dr. Scarlett :

I think that sounds like a good idea. Have the vet do one or two paws, and then let you do the others, so you get comfortable with someone watching.

Customer:

That sounds great Dr Scarlett.. I will make an appt. asap we love Bella and would like to do the right thing.

Dr. Scarlett :

Sounds like she has a great new home! Enjoy!

Hi Marion,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett