Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Dragging his butt on the floor, one white worm from his anus,

Dragging his butt on the floor, one white worm from his anus, I have not seen any worms in his feces. He's eating and drinking well.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

WHat you're describing, is typical of Tapeworm infestation.

Drew :

There's 2 sides to treating this issue:

Drew :

A dewormer containing Praziquantel or Epsiprantel (required for tapeworm killing),

Drew :

and flea control, since most cases of tapeworms occur after a dog eats a flea while chewing at a flea bite.

Customer:

Okay. Where can I get the dewormer?

Drew :

If you are against seeking veterinary attention, then some pet shops may sell appropriate products.

Customer:

I'm not against taking him if it is necessary, but if I can get it over the counter that would be my preference. So I just need to make sure I get the dewormer with one of those medications and what type of flea control would be safe for a 9 week old puppy?

Drew :

Most flea products are safe for 8 weeks and above.

Drew :

Advantage or Frontline are probably all you'll find over the counter that are reasonably effective and safe.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks. Your advice is much appreciated. This has been very helpful.

Drew :

you're welcome, have a great day!

Customer:

You too.