cestrade
cestrade, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small Animal veterinarian, practicing in Internal Medicine and surgery.
74849853

my dog is plugged up its hard at her behind, and is bleading

my dog is plugged up it's hard at her behind, and is bleading a little now? I'm a senior not much money but i love my dog hel[p. anna

cestrade :

Hi Anna, I am Dr Estrade. I would like to help you and Baby today. I want to make sure i understand. Is she constipated? Please Describe what is hard at her behind. Is it possible that her anal glands are hard?

Customer:

I realy don't know . when i was rincing her behind the area felt hard. it's possibkle what you said. almost

cestrade :

Has she been scooting or licking her hind end the last few days or weeks?

Customer:

sorry over a week agfo she would vomit 2 days. she's quiet but i'm sure a little in pain.

Customer:

yes she has been scooting

Customer:

yes she has been trying to lick

cestrade :

ok, based on the description, I think she may have an anal gland abscess. I typically use antibiotics to treat an anal gland abscess but some veterinarians don't use antibiotics. The first step is to have her anal glands expressed. Many veterinary clinics don't charge to have this done if a technician does it or they charge very little. I would call around tomorrow and see if you can get a technician to express the anal glands very gently for a small fee. What may have happened in the case is the anal gland may have been abscessed then the abscess may have ruptured.

cestrade :

I will send you some information about anal glands. Click on the link and let me know if you have additional questions ;) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

Customer:

she looks like more blood there. should i just clean her off till tomorow?

cestrade :

Yes clean her off. Do you have any medication for her (like pain medication) from a previous condition?

Customer:

i have no other meds for her

cestrade :

ok. I wouldn't give her anything over the counter for pain because they all have risks and potential side effects for pets

Customer:

where is the link?

cestrade :

So, what I would like you to do is get her anal glands expressed tomorrow morning at a vet clinic. If you have enough money to consult with a vet, that would be great. Otherwise, just get the anal glands expressed for now and again in about a week. Make sure that she continues to eat and drink normally

cestrade :

Let me send the link to the information

cestrade :

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

cestrade :

you may have to copy and paste in your browser. To copy, highlight the link and press control + c, then press control +V in the adress bar

Customer:

thanks

Hi Anna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?

cestrade