Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

my dog usually jumps up at us to greet us when we get home,

but tonight we get in...
my dog usually jumps up at us to greet us when we get home, but tonight we get in and when she jumped up she cried then immidiatly sat down, leaning slightly to one side, she then lay down and rolled onto her back(very strange) and lifted one of her legs into the air, like she wanted us to look at it. I realise i sound crazy but she does tend to tell us(in her own way) when something is wrong. She did alot of running this morning so i dont know if shes pulled a muscle but she also landed slightly awkwardly from about 3-4 ft high when one of the beds ealier so im worried she may have jarred her spine. when i feel along her legs and spine she does not cry or seem to be in pain. We've checked all her paws for thorns/stones etc, and even tried prressing on herr stomach -still nothing. Any suggestions?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2013
PetDr
PetDr, Veterinarian

Dr. N. Ezik :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will be answering your questions. How is jenny today?

Customer:

she was fine until this afternoon.

Customer:

literally she jumps up at us liek she normally does but cries with pain

Customer:

then sits down slightly leaning to the right

Dr. N. Ezik :

Were you able to observe which leg is the problem? Would you say it may be her right hind leg?

Customer:

i think it might be thats the one she puts in the air when we were looking at her

Dr. N. Ezik :

I would also need to know how much she weighs

Customer:

around 30kg

Dr. N. Ezik :

Ok, thank you. Since you mentioned earlier that she landed awkardly from 3-4 ft high, her cruciate ligaments may be the problem. I will try to give you some information about these ligaments and the knee.

The knee is a fairly complicated joint. It consists of the femur above, the tibia below, the kneecap (patella) in front, and the bean-like fabellae behind. Chunks of cartilage called the medial and lateral menisci fit between the femur and tibia like cushions. An assortment of ligaments holds everything together, allowing the knee to bend the way it should and keep it from bending the way it shouldn’t.

There are two cruciate ligaments that cross inside the knee joint: the anterior (or, more correctly in animals, cranial) cruciate and the posterior (in animals called the caudal) cruciate. They are named for the side of the knee (front or back) where their lower attachment is found. The anterior cruciate ligament prevents the tibia from slipping forward out from under the femur.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Several clinical pictures are seen with ruptured cruciate ligaments. One is a young athletic dog playing roughly who takes a bad step and injures the knee. This is usually a sudden lameness in a young large-breed dog. On the other hand, an older large dog, especially if overweight, can have weakened ligaments and slowly stretch or partially tear them. The partial rupture may be detected or the problem may not become apparent until the ligament breaks completely. In this type of patient, stepping down off the bed or a small jump can be all it takes to break the ligament. The lameness may be acute but have features of more chronic joint disease or the lameness may simply be a more gradual/chronic problem.

Dr. N. Ezik :

At this point you will need your veterinarian examine Jenny's leg to see if it feels like cruciate ligament problem.

Customer:

ok. shes shown no other signs of discomfort or anything though. shes going up and down the stairs completely normally

Customer:

jumping up and down from the sofa it is literalll just when shes goes onto her hind leegs

Dr. N. Ezik :

I have seen many dogs with fractured and dangling but were happy and wanted to play with me and my staff. Dogs are really good at hiding pain.

Customer:

ok ill get her to the vets first thing tomorrow. thank you

Dr. N. Ezik :

Therefore I would recommend hands on exam on her knees so that you can prevent further damage.

Dr. N. Ezik :

You're welcome, I hope she recovers soon. Let me know if you need anything going forward, and do not forget to rate my answer please.

PetDr
PetDr, Veterinarian
Hi Becca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jenny. How is everything going?

Dr. N. Ezik
PetDr
PetDr
PetDr, Veterinarian