Awhile back my cat started to limp. I took him (male domestic short hair, apx 17 years old) to a vet and was told it was

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello,

Awhile back my cat started to limp. I took him (male domestic short hair, apx 17 years old) to a vet and was told it was a torn ligament. They advised I let it heal in time. A few weeks later I took him to another vet who did an xray and said it was bone cancer in his back leg. He said the only options were an experimental expensive surgery or to put him down. He gave me Predinisolone to help with the swelling in the back leg. It has now been 3 weeks and Jackson (the cat) still seems in good spirits however his limp is still getting worse. I have an Xray if that helps with an opinion.
Answered by PetDr in 4 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
PetDr
13+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. N. Ezik :

Hello, I will be helping you with your questions today.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Thanks

Do you need me to send the Xray?

Dr. N. Ezik :

Ok, if you can that would be helpful.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Were there any chestxrays as well?

Full Size Image

I don't know if it matters but this was taken while the joint area was swollen

Dr. N. Ezik :

Osteosarcoma (Bone Cancer) is considered a rare cancer in cats. The symptoms of osteosarcoma are related to the bone or bones involved. The usual symptom is intermittent lameness in a forelimb or hindlimb without any known trauma or injury. There may be a painful area over a long bone or you may notice a hard swelling.

Dr. N. Ezik :

I have received the image, I will take a look at it.

Dr. N. Ezik :

The key diagnostic tests for osteosarcoma are radiographs and histopathology (Biopsy). Radiographs (x-ray) of osteosarcoma have a typical "moth-eaten" appearance. It looks like there is an area like that on jackson's radiograph. If a suspicious area like this is observed, either a fine-needle aspirate or a bone biopsy of the lesion needs to be performed to make a final diagnosis. Care must be taken when performing bone biopsies due to the increased risk of bone fracture of the weakened and cancerous bone. Although the incidence of biopsy-induced fracture is low, many cats become lamer and more painful immediately following bone biopsy procedures.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Blood tests and radiographs of the chest are also often performed as part of the diagnostic work-up, to search for additional lesions or underlying medical conditions. Up to 90% of these tumors will have metastasized or spread to the lungs at the time of diagnosis, but because of the small initial size of the metastatic lesions, less than 10% will initially show up on a chest x-ray.

Dr. N. Ezik :

That's why I asked if you also have a chest x-ray.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Treatment of osteosarcoma should be based both on the patient's condition at the time of diagnosis and the wishes of the owner. Osteosarcoma is a highly metastatic cancer meaning that it is very likely to spread to other parts of the body. This results in an overall less favorable prognosis than for a malignant tumor that is not highly metastatic. Traditional treatments for osteosarcoma include amputation of the affected limb to address local pain issues, followed by systemic chemotherapy for the treatment of distant metastasis.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Let me know if this was helpful.

Ok thank you very much

I do not have another xray but I think I will take him in for one more

Dr. N. Ezik :

Ok, if you need a follow-up chat feel free to ask me questions. I hope Jackson is not in much pain, make sure he is on painkillers.

It appears our chat has ended. How is baby? I hope she is ok. Keep in mind that you can still continue to ask me questions here. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

Meanwhile if you haven't done so please rate my answer. Thank you.

Hi Steve, I'm just following up on our conversation about Jackson. How is everything going? Dr. N. Ezik
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PetDr
logo
logo
logo
13+ years of experience
imglogo
PetDr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.