Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My two (just adopted) healthy 1 year old aussie terriers mixes,

My two (just adopted) healthy 1 year old aussie terriers mixes, 7lb and 10 lbs. have been chewing on pods from the climbing fig for a couple days now. No symptoms seen, but I don't know what symptoms to expect...I just looked up the plant this am. Do I
need to get them to a hospital?
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that your new pups are chewing on climbing fig pods. These plants are considered toxic because they are very irritating and can cause mouth and lip irritation as well as a rash. There are no systemic effects from these plants.
And there must be a certain exposure amount and some dogs are more sensitive then others.
Symptoms you may see from exposure include blisters or redness on the lips and in the mouth, drooling because of the rash, and a decreased appetite due to sensitivity from the rash.
I would simply stop them from getting access to these plants any more, either by fencing them off or getting rid of the plants. If they show signs of mouth pain feed a soft diet, such as canned food missed with water to make it softer or a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or white chicken), all fats and juices drained off, and 2/3 boiled white rice.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.