Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM ELIZABETHTOWN COLLEGE WITH A DEGREE

MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM ELIZABETHTOWN COLLEGE WITH A DEGREE IN PRE-MED/BIOLOGY. SHE NOW WANTS TO APPLY AT UPENN'S LARGE ANNIMAL SCHOOL (NEW BOLTON CENTER) IN KENNETT SQUARE, PA. SHE WAS TOLD THAT SHE NEEDS 500 WORKING HOURS FOLLOWING A VET TO MAKE HIS CALLS. MY DAUGHTER HAS HAD HER OWN HORSE FOR 15 YEARS SO SHE KNOWS A FEW VETS. SHE CANNOT GET ONE TO AGREE TO HAVE HER "TAG ALONG" WITH HIM/HER ON CALLS. CAN YOU DIRECT ME TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP US?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is very surprising. Most vets out there will take a student as a volunteer to help out and get them some experience.

I would keep calling around large animal and even small animal vets. There are many small animal clinics around and she could get her experience there. Most will allow volunteers to come in and help out. It will likely be cleaning cages and walking dogs, but she'll be in the clinic and getting experience.

She could also call up at Penn and see which vets they recommend to pre-vet students to get the experience.

The vet school is not split into large and small animal. Veterinary school teaches large, small and exotics to students. With this in mind, she can get experience in any of the above as long as it's under the direction of a veterinarian.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Gary,

She has tried to volunteer to follow a Vet around on calls but no luck. She briefly worked as an intern at New Bolton Center (UPENN SCHOOL) but now is working at Wagsworth Manor which is a retreat for dogs, I think?

I would have her try some small animal clinics and also call the school to get a list of large animal vets to call. It's going to take some more work on her part to get in touch with these vets to do volunteer work. There are a lot of vets out there willing to help, but she needs to make more of an effort to get in touch with them.

The intership at the school and retreat work is good, but she needs to work with vets and see what they do day in and day out. This is where she'll end up making the decision on whether veterinary medicine is the career for her. This is a huge investment of both time and money (~ 100-200,000). She needs to know it's what she wants before applying to vet school.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?