How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gabby Your Own Question
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12269
Experience:  19 years working as a full time veterinarian
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gabby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 8yr old female lab who was in a fight with another

This answer was rated:

I have an 8yr old female lab who was in a fight with another dog earlier today. She has several bite wounds on her front leg and at least one on her face. She was walking on her leg after it happened with no problem but now is unable to put any wgt on it. Can I give her asprin to help the swelling and pain she is experiencing.
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
As long as she is not on any other medications, and she does not have any health conditions, then she can have aspirin. The dose is 5 mg of aspirin per pound of dog.
It can be given every 12 hours. Give it with a meal to help prevent stomach upset.
An ice pack, for 20 minute intervals, can help with pain and swelling as well.
You can apply neosporin antibiotic ointment, to the wounds, three times a day as well.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I wait until morning to try to get her into her regular vet or make an emergency call? My husband and the other dog's owner did have a lot of trouble getting the other dog to let go of her leg and her "ankle" and "elbow" are both swollen. She is up to date on her shots.

If she is not in distress, and not actively bleeding, then I think you can wait until first thing in the morning.
Try to keep her still.
Most likely the vet will put her on antibiotics and a stronger pain medication.
If the other owner did offer to pay the vet bill, then I would take her into the emergency clinic tonight.
Dr. Gabby and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Belinda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mac. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby