Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a veterinary teaching hospital to bring you the best.
74509961

I have a female cat that has massive amounts of feces since

I have a female cat that has massive amounts of feces since she gave birth 7 wks. ago she eats good and drinks but she has lost so much weight, I cut out all wet food and gave her nothing but dry food to no prevail the I gave her nothing but cooked chicken and rice her stool has thickened a little, but there is still massive amounts. she is 1yr.5 months old. What should I do?

Dr. CMar :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and help answer your questions.

Dr. CMar :

Are you available?

Customer:

yes

Dr. CMar :

Hello. I am very concerned your cat may have intestinal parasites.

Dr. CMar :

Has she been dewormed recently? When cats give birth, their immune system becomes compromised and when they previously been able to handle getting rid of parasites and protozoa themselves, they become susceptible.

Dr. CMar :

To have such diarrhea for 7 weeks is not good as you know, she can start to lose vital nutrients. I would recommend she see a vet at least for deworming. This is fairly inexpensive.

Customer:

no she has not been dewormed

Dr. CMar :

I would try that first. Common parasites in cats include roundworms and protozoa like coccidia. These can easily be treated. Another infectious cause that can be a bit more difficult to treat is tritichomonas. But these can all cause large amounts of diarrhea and are treatable. Because she is so young, these would be the top concerns.

Dr. CMar :

If you take her to a vet - take a fresh stool sample. This will make the visit go much quicker.

Dr. CMar :

I would not cut out wet food either. She will need as much fluid as possible to keep her hydrated until we can get the diarrhea under control.

Customer:

Thank You Youhave answered my question.

Dr. CMar :

You are welcome. I hope Baby starts to feel better soon.

Hi Cathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?

Dr. CMar