Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

my dog ate the stuff that tyson puts in the chicken to asorb

Customer Question
the liquid....
my dog ate the stuff that tyson puts in the chicken to asorb the liquid.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/23/2013
Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

Can you tell me how long ago he ate this?

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

20 min. ago

Dr Z :

Was it a fairly normal size pad or was it from a larger size package?

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

larger size

Dr Z :

Do you know if he chewed it or did he pretty much swallow it whole?

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

i dont know

Dr Z :

Even though he is a larger dog, if it was from a larger package of meat, there is a risk (small one) of a possible obstruction as it tries to make it's way through the GI tract.

Dr Z :

We can try to induce vomiting and if it is still in the stomach, he may bring it up.

Dr Z :

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

okshould i keep an eye on him over the next few days

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

i can get some

Dr Z :

If we are going to induce vomiting, we generally have about another 30 minute window of time. Being that it is a little bigger piece, it may stay in the stomach longer.

Dr Z :

What does Ozzie weigh so I can tell you how much to give?

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

80 lbs

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

and how do i give it

Dr Z :

OK, the dose is 1 ml per pound up to 45 mls maximum. SO for an 80 pound dog, he would get 45 ml (or cc) That is equal to 3 tablespoons. If you don't have a syringe that big (most people don't) you could administer with a turkey baster orally.

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

ok does it work right away

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

so i can take him outside

Dr Z :

Yes, usually within 10 min or so. Some people will give a piece of bread first so that there is something in the stomach, but it doesn't seem to matter either way.

Dr Z :

You can give a second dose in 15 minutes if the first dose does not work to cause vomiting.

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

what should i do after he done

JACUSTOMER-t2yae64t- :

i am going to walgreen drug store be back in five to ten mins.

Dr Z :

Ok, I'll be online for most of the night.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director