How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14883
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 4 year old shitzhu ate a copious amount of trumpet vine

This answer was rated:

My 4 year old shitzhu ate a copious amount of trumpet vine leaves this morning at 11am. It is now 2 pm. Is he in danger?

Rebeccavet :

Hello!

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Casey.

Rebeccavet :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

Trumpet vine is not a plant I know to be poisonous, but let me do some research.

Rebeccavet :

One moment.

Customer:

I'm waiting. The information I looked up on the internet states that trumpet vine is poisonous.

Rebeccavet :

Ok, I did find a reference to it being toxic. Is it the plant with the bright orange red flowers?

Customer:

yes

Rebeccavet :

But I am not finding much. It shows up on lists of poisonous plants, but not much about what it does.

Rebeccavet :

It is irritating, and can cause vomiting. I would think that would have happened by now.

Customer:

To give you some background. We don't have grass and he had an upset stomach. He ate some flower leaves and stalk and then vomited. He went back later and ate the trumpet vine.

Rebeccavet :

It contains atropine and scopolamine, which definitely could cause vomiting.

Customer:

We can't find any evidence of him vomiting the trumpet vine. He has slept most of the afternoon, however, he seems to be pretty active now.

Rebeccavet :

It sounds like if he were going to react to this, you would have seen something by now.

Customer:

So you are saying to just observe him and that from all indications he will be alright now.

Rebeccavet :

I am still searching.

Rebeccavet :

The lack of information makes me think that this plant can't be that toxic. I did find that the toxic principle is atropine and scopolamine, and those should have showed something by now.

Rebeccavet :

Just checked the ASPCA poison control list of poisonous plants, and it is not listed.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Customer:

Jack

Rebeccavet :

It is listed on some lists as poisonous, and not to plant it where dogs can eat it, but I can't find any references to a dog getting really sick from it.

Rebeccavet :

So, I guess if this were my dog, I would treat him normally and watch him.

Rebeccavet :

Sorry! You tried to rate me, and I had that turned off!

Rebeccavet :

You can try again now.

Rebecca and 3 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca