How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16320
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My chihuahua was stung by a bee at 7:30 this evening. I saw

This answer was rated:

My chihuahua was stung by a bee at 7:30 this evening. I saw her grab it and spit it out. I immediately ran instead and gave her 3/4 of a Benedryl as prescribed by my vet for allergies. She hasn't swelled anywhere and seems to be breathing fine (she snores normally so this is normal) but she will wake up every so often, act like she's gagging and try to get comfortable again. My fear is that she will have a reaction. Should I take her to the emergency vet?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Foxie getting stung by a bee.


I am very glad to hear that she received Benadryl immediately as that antihistamine is quite good at stopping allergic reactions. You do want to continue dosing her at 1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours for at least 72 hours to give the allergen time to clear from her system. If you stop too soon the reaction can flare. The dose you gave (3/4 of a 25mg tablet) is a good one for a 15 to 20 pound dog. Do expect her to be sleepy with that medication so keep her away from stairs so she doesn't fall and hurt herself.


Unfortunately Benadryl doesn't do anything for pain and even with Benadryl we can still see localized swelling at the site of the sting.


As long as her color remains nice and pink, she doesn't have any facial, throat or tongue swelling, she is breathing easily and you aren't seeing any vomiting or diarrhea then her reaction isn't likely life threatening. It is likely just very uncomfortable. The fact that she is sleeping now is a very good sign. That probably means the discomfort isn't horrible. If it were I would expect her to be pawing at her face or rubbing her muzzle on things.


I don't think you have to have her seen tonight given your description of the way she is behaving and the way that you handled things for her. But it certainly never hurts to have her checked and make sure all is well. Your local emergency veterinarian can give her a steroid or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory injection and prescribe pain medication for her. Or you can choose to watch her tonight and if she still seems uncomfortable tomorrow you can have her regular veterinarian take a look at her and prescribe medication for her.

In the meantime I do recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.
If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods
or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 2/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.


Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! One finally question, I didn't see a stinger but read you should take them out. Is this an issue? I looked but could not see one. Thanks!!

Thanks for the further question. Ideally the stinger should be removed immediately if we can because it continues to pump in the toxin for a few minutes. They can be difficult to find however, especially in the mouth. At this point it is probably gone and even if it isn't it has already pumped in as much toxin as it had in it. It would be more uncomfortable for her to fuss with her mouth at this time. I would let her be.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Dr. Kara and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you