Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My 11mo old malti-shu got into some bleu cheese and has had

diarrhea for 4days. We have...
My 11mo old malti-shu got into some bleu cheese and has had diarrhea for 4days. We have been giving her liquid imodium. 3ml (she is 8 pounds). She was very lethargic the 1st day but has regain her pep. She isnt eating anything. Trying rice and chicken. Today is day 4 and she threw up the imodium. I really thought she was on the mend.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2013
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Is she still lethargic?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

She is 8 pounds. She is no longer lethargic. I am at work, I cant check her gums

Diane, though we sometimes use Loperamide in dogs in cases of diarrhea, when the intestines are hyperactive or where there is a possibility of an infection, it is best not to use an anti diarrheal or things can become worst. Diarrhea is not a disease but one of the ways the body utilizes to eliminate unwanted things. Instead, please follow the below recommendations, though conservative very effective.

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her belly time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit, diarrhea or not willing to eat after doing the above, she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter

She is doing much better, thank you!

Your Welcome.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian