Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

hello I have a shib inu 1.5 yrs old who about 5 weeks ago had

an infection (bladder or kidneys)...
hello I have a shib inu 1.5 yrs old who about 5 weeks ago had an infection (bladder or kidneys) so we went on antibiotics and switched his diet to chicken and rice. He had been lethargic and not eating but still having bowel movements but just seemed "off". The antiobiotcs works and he was totally back to normal until about 2 weeks ago when he threw up some hard bits of fur and potato (must have eaten something) but was ok-ish, but twice has green slimy poop. he is eatign and drinking normally and pooping with no straining and today it was normal looking. I plan on making an appt to see his regular vet, but could it be the 1st infection returned, or could it be something caught in his tummy? the fur was from a rabbit hat that fel on the floor and before I could get it he ripped it up and started eating the fur, but I would think it would pass through? any advice is greatly appreciated, he is just not quite himself but not like he was before the anitbiotics either. thank you very much
5/16/2013
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about Casey and I'd like to help.

I don't think the urinary tract infection and the symptoms that you are seeing now are related.

It sounds like he is a fellow that likes to find things and eat them as evidenced by the rabbit fur hat episode and potato bits that you were unaware he had even gotten into. That can lead to gastrointestinal irritation; even if he is able to pass the foreign material it can still cause upset and mechanical irritation to the intestinal tract.

I think at this point a veterinary visit is a great idea to make sure that he hasn't eaten something that could cause a partial obstruction. We know he doesn't have a full obstruction as he continues to pass stool and eat without vomiting.

In the meantime to try and settle his stomach you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight
every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight
every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.

You may also want to feed a bland diet. It appears that you have been trying something like that but I recommend a bland diet consisting of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you feel there may still be pieces of rabbit fur or other foreign material to push through the gastrointestinal tract and because you have seen mucous in his stool (the slimy material) as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

When you have him seen by his veterinarian I also recommend that some blood tests be run to make sure that his internal organs are functioning normally. It is rare to see a urinary tract infection in a young, healthy male dog and we do want to make sure that there isn't any underlying problems that need to be addressed.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

how do they tell if he has a partial obstruction? xray or blood work?

I tried the pumpkin but he eats around it. the blood work sounds like a good idea, I think he could possibly be having a reaction to some treats, he's always eaten them though so maybe cumulatively they have been not good for him

Survey radiographs may give a good idea of a partial obstruction by changes in gas patterns in the intestinal tract, but sometimes we need to perform an ultrasound or contrast radiographs (x-ray films where he is given a contrast agent to eat or drink, then several films are taken to see passage through the intestinal tract) to see a partial obstruction.

I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't like pumpkin. Another option is mixing in a tablespoon or two of Metamucil but then you need to make sure he drinks very well as fiber laxatives require lots of fluids to work. You can add low salt beef or chicken broth to his meals to get more fluids in.

Bloodwork won't show any changes with a food allergy or sensitivity but it will tell us if he has some underlying organ function problems.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian