Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have chihuahua around 5 o clock I took him to the vet to

I have chihuahua around 5 o clock I took him to the vet to get his shots updated around 11 I noticed his face was swollen and now it gotten even worse he's breathing funny I want to give him benadryl but I don't know how much to give him he's 7 pounds 6 ounces
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thank you

Hello again Ita and thanks for waiting,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area including the muzzle is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite but in your case it could well be down to the vaccines.

I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK .

A usual dose rate would 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given twice a day, in your case that will be 8 mg twice a day orally.

As long as your dog is not deteriorating and is reasonably happy then you would be taking very few risks in giving Benadryl and then sitting things out until your normal vet is open rather than going to an ER vet as this situation is rarely dangerous. However if your dog deteriorates at all or other symptoms develop then you should play safe and see a vet ASAP.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So if he not acting like himself should I be worried or is it's just one of the side effects of the reaction

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

While there can be no guarantees via the internet I would not be at all surprised if what you are seeing is just a side effect to the vaccine.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks you vary much for the help:)

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one more thing before I let you go if he doesn't take the benadryl right away do you think he still be ok I'm at home and my kids are asleep and I do not want to wake themso I can go to the store tell morning

Hello again,

Please ask as many questions as you like, this is no problem ...

If this is a vaccine reaction though it is sometimes quite dramatic to look at it is rarely dangerous and most dogs would recover given a few days. An antihistamine like Benadryl will dramatically speed recovery time though ....

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Ita,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kindest regards and good luck with Little Man ... ,

Scott

Hello again Ita,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Little Man is getting on.

How are things going now?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he's doing great the benadryl helped the irritation thank you again for the help

Hello again,

Thanks so much for the update, great he is doing well...

Regards,

Scott.