Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

MY COCKATIELS TOE LOOKS LIKE ITS BROKEN WHAT CAN I DO?

Welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today
Just checking back in. Is your bird still having problems? If so let me know and I will see if I can help.
Hi Lynn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

msudvm77
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

have not received any info as to what to do yet, bird is still trying to bite the toe and it is bleeding. she has received antibiotics and pain relief but this has not solved the problem of her trying to get to the toe with her beak.

Can you tell me what medications have been used? The fact the toe is still bothering molly makes me think there is active infection/pain there. Alternate antibiotics may help, as well as different pain medication. In the event that medication cannot stop the pain then amputation of a toe is no big deal in a cockatiel. I see many tiels missing toes and having no ill effects. Better to remove the toe than live with chronic pain and the risk of spreading infection to the whole foot or leg