Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY SISTER HAS A GOLDEN RETREVER THAT HAS THE FOULIEST smell

MY SISTER HAS A GOLDEN RETREVER THAT HAS THE FOULIEST smell and its coming. From his hair. IF YOU TOUCH HIM YOU HAVE TO WASH YOUE HANDS BECAUSE IT COMRS OFF ON YOU,HE IS ON THYROID. MED. FOR ABOUT 5 OR 5 YRS. NOW. ANY IDEAS?
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started. This is in fact a situation I have encountered from time to time, the first thing to do is to set to and work out precisely where the smell is coming from, there would only be a number of possibilities in my experience :

1. Lip fold infections can produce a constant evil smell and are often overlooked. Look carefully along the side of the lips and see if you can find any areas which are red and diseased looking. Run your finger along the lip edges and then smell you finger. { Horrid I know ! }

2. Check the mouth, because dental problems like deposits of tartar build up can also cause a constant smell. You will be looking for brown deposits on the teeth, this can make the whole dog smell. { finger test again } The solution here would be to have your vet carry out some dental work.

3. A low grade dermatitis is another possible cause of a bad smell. Check your dog's coat and skin thoroughly and again run your fingers through the coat and then smell your fingers to see if that is the cause.

4. Chronic ear infections are also a possible cause. { finger test again! } even if the ears visually look fine.

In my experience the most common cause is a low grade dermatitis, what you should do is to rule out the other causes and then wash the dog regularly in a medicated prescription shampoo such as malaseb which has active constituents to take out both bacterial and fungal infections. Fungal infections give a typical yeasty smell and they will not be killed by the use of normal shampoos.

Lip fold infections, and ear disease are often easily treated with prescription drugs from your vet but as far as dental disease goes it would be wise to have your vet take a look.

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Vet Answers