Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

My female guinea pig has suddenly quit eating. I noticed she

My female guinea pig has suddenly quit eating. I noticed she is also in heat right now. can this effect her eating and how long can a guinea pig survive on critical care through syringe?

Dr. Gregg :

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today

Dr. Gregg :

When you say she is in heat, what are you seeing?

Customer:

her female are is slightly swollen.and it kinda pulsates down there when we pick her up or touch down there

Customer:

#area

Customer:

she stopped eating out the blue..she was eating fine friday and part of saturday then she just completely stopped

Dr. Gregg :

Thanks. Guinea pigs do not show external evidence of heat. I suspect she has a problem with her reproductive or urinary system.

Dr. Gregg :

How long has it been since she has eaten?

Customer:

i have her on an antibiotic,tetracycline and she received a shot of baytirl and vit B12 today

Customer:

she hasnt fed herself since saturday night but ive been giving her critical care and water thru syringe

Customer:

i try putting vegetables at her mouth but she just turns away.sometimes she'll go up to the bowls,smell it,and walk away.

Dr. Gregg :

Antibiotics are a good idea here, but there are better ones for gp;s. If she has not eaten in 48 hours, as you indicated, then she is in danger of developing a serious liver problem called hepatic lipidosis.

Customer:

eventhough im feeding her critical care? i mean i give her aatleast 3cc's 4times a day if not more

Dr. Gregg :

If you are able to force feed her then put some pellets and maby hay or veggies in a blender, she needs fiber. I'm not familiar with critical care. Is it made for guinea pigs?

Customer:

with the shot of baytirl and B12 i didnt expect to come home and she suddenly eat,i can tell she feels bad..her lung sounds are great but she has had a runny nose and sneezing

Customer:

yes sir it is

Dr. Gregg :

Good, I just learned something

Dr. Gregg :

Does she have a discharge from nose/eyes or rear end?

Customer:

called critical care fine grind.u just mix it with water it has fiber,vitamins,vit c,etc

Dr. Gregg :

Excellent

Customer:

she had a white discharge from her vagina last nite..we thought she just got excited down there

Dr. Gregg :

The things I would think about here are infection or a problem with the bladder, such as stones

Customer:

but what can i do? i dont want her to die or starve

Dr. Gregg :

An xray and more agressive antibiotic therapy would be a good idea

Customer:

where i live the xray is out..but i can get baytril

Dr. Gregg :

Guinea pigs are very prone to bacterial infection and anytime there is a white discharge we get very concerned

Dr. Gregg :

Baytril is not the best antibiotic either, unless combined with metronidazol. An antibiotic called trimethoprim-sulfa( tribrissen, septra) would be my choice here

Customer:

ok..is there anything else i can do for her..and how much syringe feeding should i give her to be adequate to survive?

Dr. Gregg :

Sounds like you are doing a good job now. If there are instructions for feeding on the suppliment I would follow that

Customer:

ok..any other other advice

Dr. Gregg :

Sounds like you are doing everything you can for now. Modify the antibiotic treatment and keep up the feeding and that will give chip her best shot at a cure

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Dr. Gregg :

You are welcome and good luck with chip. I have raised lots of these little ones and I know how attached you can get

Customer:

yes sir thank you again

Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chip. How is everything going?

Dr. Gregg