Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My dog, a 3.5 lb Maltese, just woke up squealing. She was

My dog, a 3.5 lb...
My dog, a 3.5 lb Maltese, just woke up squealing. She was arching her back, and definitely in pain. She also appeared to have urinated, as her tail and the bed under her was all wet. A few moments after, I asked her if she needed to go outside, and she immediately ran to the door. When I let her out, she pee'd and poo'd. Since then she's seemed normal, except she vomited once. She's currently in my lap eating.
4/21/2013
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears to me that Clover may have had an epileptic seizure. This is a condition that occurs from some trigger in the brain and causes either gran mal seizures or petite mal seizures which are smaller manifestations of this same disease. They can have one episode and never have another or they can have more episodes.I say this because Clover urinated in her bed, common for a petite mal seizure and was normal after this.

It is best to have your vet examine Clover to rule out any metabolic issues that could also cause seizures such as a liver issue. Once that is ruled out, your vet may choose to place Clover on antiseizure medication if she has more than one seizure per week. I say this because Clover could die during a seizure or suffer permanent brain damage if the seizure lasts a long time.

Have your vet examine Clover and they will tell you what to do.

This LINK can expain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you very much! I will definitely follow up with her vet.

YOu are very welcome, Arthur! I know how frightening these episodes can be and I am hopeful that Clover will do fine with you taking such great care of her.

have a great day!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, Arthur for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Clover's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply to this question.

Have a great day!!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian