Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Our beautiful 15 year old labradoodle, Bridie, has epilepsy.

Her typical seizure lasts 5...
Our beautiful 15 year old labradoodle, Bridie, has epilepsy. Her typical seizure lasts 5 to 10minutes. She drops to the ground, thrashes her head from side to side & is unresponsive. She then gradually recovers & is back to normal within 20 to 30 minutes.

She has had a seizure today about 30 minutes ago. She is now alert & responsive but her entire body is shaking uncontrollably. She can't walk or even stand properly. She does not seem to be in any pain. She is not drooling or frothing are that mouth. She is not vomiting.

We've rung our vet but he is attending to a horse with colic on a farm some 100kms away & won't return for at least two hours. We live in a small rural community & there are no other vets. Our nearest towns are at least 1 1/2 hrs away. Our vet will ring when he's heading back into town.

Do you have any suggestions as to how we can help Bridie?
Thanks,
Michele
4/1/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's very distressing to watch our girl going through this. I'll await your reply.

Regards,

Michele

Hello again Michele,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. So sorry to hear about Bridie, epilepsy is very common in your breed { Labradors / Labrador crosses } It can be caused by hereditary factors and if this is the case then she will have had it for quite a few years but in older dogs it can be caused by things like brain tumours and other diseases affecting the central nervous system.

2. What to do about it? Well unless you have access to drugs such as valium which your vet may have left for this purpose there is not much you can do until your vet arrives I am afraid. { Get back to me if you have the likes of valium }

In the meantime just keep her calm, comfortable and reassured, place her in a darkened room with a minimum of sound stimulation and while keeping an eye on her an keeping her still be as quiet as possible round her.

Thats about all you can do I am afraid ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX follow your advice until our vet returns. Many thanks.

Michele

Hello again Michele,

Thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch

Kindest regards and good luck with Bridie ... ,

Scott

Dear Scott,

Just a brief update for you. Our wonderful Bridie dog has recovered remarkably well. We were able to finally see the vet this evening. He feels it is Bridie's epilepsy that caused the problem even though the presentation was a little different from when she was younger and the duration of the effects was much greater. It took 5 1/2 hrs for her shaking to come under control. Our vet gave her some Valium (by this stage we could have used some!) & a cortisone shot as he was concerned there could have been some inflammation exacerbating the problem. Surprisingly, she didn't present with an elevated temperature after such a long time shaking. We now have an action plan in place should it occur again (Valium on hand) and will monitor her progress carefully. Our vet said that other than the epilepsy, Bridie is very healthy & in excellent condition for a 15 year old. Should her epilepsy worsen we will try her on anti-convulsive drugs.

Tonight, Bridie is her normal, happy, responsive self again. On the other hand, my husband, myself & our two sons are all exhausted! Both sons were supposed to be doing Uni assignments today but neither could concentrate.

Our animals (Bridie plus 3 cats Bill, Bella & Daisy) are an integral and adored part of our family. Life is made so much better by having furry companions but it is just awful when they are ill. Your advice was very reassuring and greatly appreciated under trying conditions.

Our sincere, heartfelt thanks & kind regards,

Michele, David, Stuart, Lachlan, Bridie, Bill, Bella & Daisy

Moree NSW Australia

Thanks so much for the update,

Your action plan seem the right way to go ...

Good luck,

Scott