Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

DontWhat could I give my 9 mo. old neutered male cat for eye

Customer Question
infection?...
dontWhat could I give my 9 mo. old neutered male cat for eye infection?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2013
Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 4 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the question.
My name is***** am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and try and advise you.
Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think your particular problem through and prepare an answer. I will then get back to you and we can talk things through.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

o.k I will wait. Thank u

Thanks for waiting.

While I cannot precisely diagnose Dillon's eye problem via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of such cases over the years :

The most common eye infection which cats gets is conjunctivitis which is sometimes called red eye or pink eye. Conjunctivitis in the cat is easy to spot, the whites of your cats eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge which may be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

1. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so.

2. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as cat flu. In these case your cat will be showing other symptoms as well such as coughing, sneezing, general weakness and many more. While your vet may again give you eye drops he or she will also be tackling the other disease process which is going on.

Here is a link to a site which has more information on conjunctivitis : LINK

3. If conjunctivitis is the diagnosis then what should you do about it ? : Unfortunately there is not much scope here for home remedies as the best treatment will be antibiotic eye drops which are usually prescription drugs and so usually only available from your vet. A visit to your vet is always the best option because if left untreated then eye infections can easily get worse and other more serious eye conditions are possible which could be mistaken for conjunctivitis.

4. In the meantime though until you can get to a vet you would be doing no harm in gently irrigating the eye with luke warm water.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.