Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 15 pound poodle mix dog ate some onions and garlic. It

My 15 pound poodle mix dog ate some onions and garlic. It is not a lot but I don't know exactly how much. Do I need to do more than watch him?
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has it been since he/she ate the onion and garlic?
2- Can you give me more less an amount?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure when he ate it. I just got home and found the mess.

He may have eaten one small onion, 1 1/2 " in diameter and a clove or 2 of garlic. I believe that is the most but it could have been less. I have 2 other smaller dogs but they don't get up on the counter.

I do not have hydrogen peroxide.

Thank you!

As you already know, both, onions and garlic are toxic to dogs by causing damage of the red blood cells leading to anemia. Initially, often you do not see any symptoms; your family veterinarian will need to do a blood test in the next 24-48 hours to make certain everything is ok. For now, just observe him; monitor his gums they should normally be pink, if they turn pale take him to the nearest veterinarian immediately. Follow up with family veterinarian in 1-2 days.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will watch him. He seems fine now with pink gums but I will keep checking and get him in if he fades. Thanks again!

Gloria