Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Hey~ my dog currently has the unusual rad and inflamed on

Hey~ my dog currently has the unusual rad and inflamed on his underneath eyelid . I've already took him to the vet and they said they don't know why this happens, they give me an eye ointment but after apply 7days. It doesn't change much and I really want to know if this is a big matter, btw they said the unusual seems not affect the eye.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 1.5 year old Poodle boy who has a reddened and inflammed eyelid or conjunctiva of the eyelid only on one eye. There are a number of possible causes for this, but given your boy is a young Poodle - we would have to consider whether he has some stray eyelashes as the cause of this problem. Young Poodles commonly get small eyelashes that grown on the inside of the eyelid rather than the outside - a condition we call distichiasis. These small hairs rub on the eye and can cause inflammation and discharge. It is also possible the hairs in the corner of your boy's eye are rubbing on the eyeball causing the same problem. These would be the main potential causes to rule out and often it takes a referral to a Veterinary certificate holder in Opthalmology in Australia. Here they can use a different magnification to examine the surface of your boy's eyelids and if this is the cause of the problem, they can use electrolysis to remove the hairs that are causing the problem.

For now - you can use some cool black tea to help settle the affected eyelid. The tanins in the tea are great to help settle mild inflammation. You can use this ongoing once the drops finish. To do this - just make some fresh black tea, allow it to cool, then use this to wipe the affected eyelid (via some cotton wool) 2 - 3 x daily until it settles.

The other potential cause for this eyelid problem is an allergy to something - so you could ask your Vet for a prescription of anti inflammatories for your boy as well. Best of luck and let me know how the tea helps. If nothing helps - then you really will need to get him checked over by a Veterinary opthalmologist. Let me know how you get on. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback ( 5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and I think this might be the causation of his inflammatory. I just wondering could I send you a picture to further apply to his situation?
If you want to Tia - yes, just add it via the paperclip icon above.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi~did you receive my photo?
No sorry - it hasn't come through for some reason. You need to attach it via the paper clip icon.
Hi again,

Yes - I finally got the picture through a moderator. This is quite an interesting lump isn't it. This could be due to an ingrown area of hair, a sty, or it could be a small benign mass of some sort. The best bet is still to get this checked by a Veterinary opthalmologist if your Vet can arrange an appointment with one. It could be that just some further topical treatment and oral antibiotics are all that is needed, or it could be that this is a small benign lump that needs to be removed.

Let me know how you get on!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi Tia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr M D Edwards BVSc MRCVS