robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian
71397578

My guinea pigs are 15/16 weeks old, weve had them for 6 weeks

Customer Question

My guinea pigs are 15/16 weeks old, we've had them for 6 weeks now. I fed them this morn and found a dead baby guinea pig the size of a big slug in the cage. I had no idea she was pregnant, just though she had put on weight as she was so tiny when we go her. They are definitely girls, my dad and I rechecked the other pig this morn. Should i take her to see a vet as she is so young and they normally have more than one? I've tried calling the vets but it's shut as is now late on a sat afternoon.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is Dr. G. I will try and help you as best as I can.
Dystocia, or difficulties with pregnancy, is very common in guinea pigs. I would definitely recommend taking her to a vet to get an x-ray or ultrasound to see if there are other babies present. They often have litters of 3-4, and I would be concerned of more being inside. If there are more babies present she may push them out, however there is a possibility that she may not and they may need to be removed as they can start to die inside the mother and become infected.
Please let me know if you have any more questions. Also, please don't forget to leave positive feedback.
How is your G-pig doing? Please let me know if you have any questions for me.
Thanks,

Dr. G