robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian
71397578

I recently adopted a 6 yr old female Siamese. She has adapted

I recently adopted a 6 yr old female Siamese. She has adapted pretty well in the 5 mos I've had her, and came with a recent vet checkup that showed she was overweight and had plaque. She has lost some weight, might be down to 8lbs from 10lbs. The problem is she occasionally vomits small amounts of food. At first, I thought it was the stress of the move, then I thought it was her cat food. I did research and it fit the pattern of a potential hair-ball, so bought some "treats" that are supposed to help with that. It happens less than once per week since, but I am concerned because I've never had a pet do that before (and I've had quite a few cats and dogs over the years).

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can. First, what is you kitty eating? Is she indoor only? Does she live with other pets? Is she on any medications right now? Any previous diseases? What does the vomit look like (food, bile, hair, etc)?

Customer:

So far as the vet report that came with her says, she has a pretty clean bill of health. We have a chiweenie, she is not on any meds, and the vomit looks like undigested food or barely digested food

robertnjrotc :

is she indoor only? indoor/outdoor? outdoor only? What diet is she currently on? When was the first time you noticed the vomit (how long ago)? Is she on any flea or parasite prevention (ie revolution)?

Customer:

Indoor only, though the dog goes out several times a day. She is eating Meow Mix, though it's not the best, XXXXX XXXXX caused the least vomit out of the few brands she will eat (won't eat the vet brands). It started shortly after I got her, about 5 mos ago, and isn't on any flea or parasite prevention. Our dog also has a clean bill of health, has never been sick except a brief bout of ringworm.

robertnjrotc :

There are very many things that can cause vomiting, and it is pretty much a symptom for most diseases. That said, I think the first thing I would recommend would be blood work. We will be able to rule out many things based on the bloodwork. The disease I would be most concerned about would be inflammatory bowel disease. This condition would be managed with oral steroid medication and a change in diet.

Customer:

If it's bowels, is there something I might have noticed about the fecal material I scoop out of her litter box?

robertnjrotc :

not necessarily

robertnjrotc :

you may notice vomiting, but not always diarrhea

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your time.