Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I am an emergency veterinarian. I have had an adult male (5yr)

Customer Question
sugar glider present with a...
I am an emergency veterinarian. I have had an adult male (5yr) sugar glider present with a swollen/distended cloacal aperature. Today he start vomiting and has not urinated or defecated. I am wondering about the presence of bladder infections, crystaluria, bladder stones and inflammatory processes that can obstruct his ability to urinate. Is this common?? Treatment recommendations?? I was going to anesthetize him with isoflruane to get radiographs and perform a better examination. Do you have any other recommendatins??? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/5/2012
Veterinarian: stiffy111, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
stiffy111
stiffy111, Veterinarian

stiffy111 :

Hi I'm Dr. H and I occasionally see Sugar Gliders--I would be happy to help if I can!

stiffy111 :

Don't know when you will be back online, but I would be doing fluid therapy and keeping him warm in an incubator at 75 to 80 F. I would do a UA, and if he has a UTI, start Clavamox. Do abdominal rads to look at bladder, BUN/Creat would be nice but can only take 1% of body weight. If you are not a member of ASGV, they have great info about sugar gliders. Obviously if he is blocked, see if if there is a plug at the end of his penis. Most problems with sugar gliders is related to husbandry--poor diet and not being kept warm enough. I will check back. Dr. H