Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My doe has two enlarged teats and has never been bred. How

Customer Question
My doe has two enlarged...
My doe has two enlarged teats and has never been bred. How to stop milk production ASAP?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/5/2012
Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

There is no specific medication or one specific method to dry the milk, but there are common procedures we use:

1)
Lack of stimulation of any kind will help - not "nursing / milking". Any stimulation furthers milk production

2) O
thers consider cutting calories by 25% and cold compressing the breasts/mammary glands for a few days. Cutting calories decreases the energy and overall milk production of the gland and the gentle cold compressing does the same.

Overall, the combination of time and these methods often dries the glands in 1-2 weeks.

Good luck!

Before rating - Please REPLY at any time if more information is needed and I would be glad to reply back and help!

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist