Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Hi are weimeraners prone to problems with their back ends?

Hi are weimeraners prone to problems...
Hi
are weimeraners prone to problems with their back ends? Ours is just over 2 years old and has had a tummy upset the last day or so. Today she has been struggling to stand up from her back end. Could it be a virus or other infection?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2012
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is she dragging her hind legs?
Is she acting painful?
Is she urinating and defecating normally?
She is not dragging her legs and she does not seem in pain, she hasn't yelped at all. She is walking absolutely fine. She has had diahorrea yesterday and today and her belly has been bubbling so is clearly still upset
Thanks for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that her tummy is upset at this time. Many Weimeraners do have very sensitive stomachs therefore loose stools and bowel issues are common to see. I have seen them also have some disorders that can cause trouble walking with their hind legs such as a bulging disc in the spine, a condition called Wobbler's syndrome which is a compression of the neck vertebrae that can cause trouble walking, hip dysplasia, and tick borne diseases or an infection.

As far as a virus causing either problems with the stools or with her back legs, this is very unlikely. More then likely her symptoms may be all related. The diarrhea that she is having could be causing her some discomfort in her back end which is making her not want to stand very well. The most common cause of diarrhea and an upset stomach is colitis.

Basically colitis is an inflammatory disorder of the colon usually due to either stress or from eating something out of the ordinary. Intestinal parasites can also cause these symptoms.

Treatment usually consists of trying to get the inflammation under control and reducing any more irritation to her colon. The best medication to get the inflammation back under control is called Metronidazole which unfortunately is only available from your vet. At home you can try some pepto bismol at a dose of 1 tablespoon ( 15 ml) per 30 pounds of weight every 8 hours.

I would also recommend feeding a bland food to help with the diarrhea. My recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until she is back to normal. This is very easy for her to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

If the pepto bismol is not helping then I would call your vet in the morning to get a stronger medication.

If she continues to have more trouble with her back legs I would definitely have your vet examine her to make sure that she does not have any of the underlying disorders that I mentioned.

Hope this helps -please feel free to reply if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please do not hesitate to click on the "excellent service" button as this will compensate me for my time. Thank you in advance!

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian