Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

What are the side effects of Carprofen(Remydil)sp.?

8/5/2012
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I am Dr. Zoe, a licensed veterinarian here to help. How long has Rosie been on Rimadyl? Was this just started?

Dr. Zoe :

The answer is potentially yes. If this medication was just started, then there is a chance it could be the culprit. Most commonly we see vomiting or diarrhea as a common side effect within 2 weeks of starting in dogs who are sensitive to this medication. Our top concern when we see this is that it could be causing an underlying liver or kidney problem, and therefore, screening for this is indicated. Therefore, if she just started, it would be recommended to stop. She should recover within 24 hours to normal, but I do recommend phone her vet first thing in the morning.

Dr. Zoe :

We do have other choices to provide pain relief in dogs who are sensitive to this category of drugs (such as tramadol, gabapentin, amantadine), and there are other therapies available like acupuncture.

Dr. Zoe :

Please let me know your questions!

Customer:

Rosie started taking it on July 26. Thank you

Dr. Zoe :

Then, this is certainly possible to be signs due to the medication. I would suggest stopping, and if so she should be much better tomorrow. But please phone your vet tomorrow to discuss how to keep her comfortable until her specialist appointment. We also need to assess if this is a critical emergency (doesn't sound so... but need to be certain)-- if you see black stool this can indicate a bleeding ulcer and is a sign for her to be seen. Vomiting that is becoming profuse to the point she cannot eat, or blood in the vomitus are signs to have her seen. And if she is having any yellowing to the whites of her eyes or gums then this indicates a liver issue and a need for immediate evaluation.

Customer:

Rosie started taking this on July 26.

Dr. Zoe :

Did you receive my reply? Sometimes this system can be glitchy and I want to be sure you did get my response.

Customer:

Yes I received your reply and I do thank you.

Customer:

Yes I did get yout reply and I do thank you. Ann

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?

Dr. Zoe

Thanks for asking. The next day I was out on my patio and found a bag of blue bird nuggets that had been on a shelf for over a year and it was completely empty. Rosie had sniffed them out for some reason after all of this time and had eaten them allthus the swollen belly,throwing up etc. Fortunatly the episode soon resolved itself. Corgis do LOVE to eat!! I have an appointment with a specialist in Greenville,SC's specialty clinic to see if there is anything we can do for her nuro muscular problem. Thank you. Ann

I am so happy to hear that she is improved and that it was a simple answer. It sounds like pain relief is quite important for her right now. Please let me know if you have any questions in the future!
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified