Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

something has fallen on my bunny in the night . its ear is…

Customer Question
something has fallen on my...
something has fallen on my bunny in the night . its ear is now floppy in a dowards angle .. while the good ear is up and pointing to the sky .. she is a house rabbit . please help our vets are closed
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/5/2012
Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I am Dr. Zoe, a licensed veterinarian here to help. With this ear that is now floppy, does the ear flap, itself, seem to be full of fluid? Any discharge inside the ear? Shaking her head?

Dr. Zoe :

The first thing we must determine is if she has an ear infection, which is most commonly due to mites. Your vet may need to take a look. If the ear flap is normal, which I suspect and there is no infection, then the flopping can occur at about that age. Some rabbits will get one or both ears that flop. The reason is often unclear and sometimes breed related. Our course of action is to treat any underlying infection, which if present, once treated the drooping should resolve. If there is no infection then this may be permanent, although rarely does resolve as the rabbit matures.

Dr. Zoe :

I do not recommend bandaging the ear. This probably will not help. :( And there is a risk of hurt the ear with a bandage by inadvertently cutting off blood circulation.

Dr. Zoe :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that this is probably not an emergency and could wait until your vet is open on Monday, but does warrant a visit. For now monitor. Please let me know if she is having other critical signs such as not eating/drinking, acting lethargic, respiratory issues, or no longer producing normal stool.

It does not appear that you are available for a live chat right now, or we are having a tough time connecting. Please let me know your questions.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.