Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our rabbit has some fungus looking stuff on some of her toe…

Our rabbit has some fungus...
Our rabbit has some fungus looking stuff on some of her toe nails. It comes off if you pick at it. Do you know what might be the cause of this and how do we treat it?
8/5/2012
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I am Dr. Zoe, a licensed veterinarian here to help. This could be one of a few different issues. My top concern is skin mites. This usually causes some hair loss and moderate to tremendous level of dandruff or flaky skin.

Dr. Zoe :

If this is not dandruff, then my next concern would be ringworm or this is a bacterial infection. Ultimately, treatment for all of these is something you will have to get from your vet. And your vet should do a skin scraping to determine if mites/bacteria are present. I would probably proceed with treatment for mites, even if none seen (they can be in low density on the skin and sometimes tough to find on a skin scraping). The treatment is quite simple these days (we usually use topical selamectin for 3 doses give 2 weeks apart in addition to special shampoo).

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
It does not appear that you are not available for a live chat, or we are having a terrible time connecting. I am still here and await your questions.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
thank you
You are welcome. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any future questions!
Hi Jo-Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shoelace. How is everything going?

Dr. Zoe