Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my 12yr old thai ridgeback has mostly pale gums and tongue,

has one cyst causing no...
my 12yr old thai ridgeback has mostly pale gums and tongue, has one cyst causing no problem on her front right ankle, now she has occasional baggy lower left eyelid, bloodshot eyeball and the eyelid leaves a gap between eyeball and lid, droopy eyelid, sometimes it is so closed she cannot open it, happened about two months ago, local vet gave ointment whish helped a little before it came back again, given antibiotics 2nd time and seemed to help a little, came back two times less of a problem since then, and wondering if it's just age related illness ?
8/4/2012
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is the pupil in the affected eye smaller than the one in the good eye?

Did the vet check the tear prodution? It is a test where a strip of paper is put in the eye for 60 sceonds.

No. Thogh on both there is that normal age old glaze that older dogs get. I thought it was something to do with her immune system and noticed a better colour in her paleness when I sprinkled spirulina on her food

I forgot to mention there was a cyst of some form on her tear duct area, right there where I expected to see the hole. The vet couldn't squeeze it as my dog would not keep still. A check for tear production wasn't done.
i initially thought there was a foreign body in her tear duct as she'd rub it occasionally

Please wait for me to respond now. If you keep replying, everything I type gets erased. I just wrote a long answer and the whole thing got erased. Give me 10 minutes to retype it all. Thanks

There are a number of causes of pale gums and tongue.

1. Heart disease. Where the blood is not being pumped out effectively the gums look pale. The would have to be diagnosed with a chest x-ray or ecg. There are medications to help the heart work more effectively.

2. Anemia. Anemia means lack of red blood cells. It can be caused by"

-bleeding (internal or external)

-destruction of red blood cells (from auto-immune disease, toxins, and infections)

-lack of production in the bone marrow (an example would be leukemia)

3. Dehydration can also cause pale gums because there is not enough fluid in the blood stream to circulate the blood well.

4. Shock can cause pale gums as well.

She will definitely need to have this diagnosed with blood work. Pale gums can be a symptom of multiple things. Treatment, at least symptomatic treatment, may be possible.

As far as the cyst on her leg, if it is growing, or changing, I would have the vet take some cells out, with a syringe and needle, and look at them under the microscope. Usually slow growing cysts are benign. A cyst is a fluid filled growth and not a solid mass.

I was thinking she may have "Horner's syndrome." The nerves that go to the eye branch off from the same nerve that goes to the neck and ear. So any inflammation in the neck, or ear, can cause Horners syndrome. Signs are droopy eyelid, red eye, small pupil, appearance that eye is going into the head, and the third eyelid partially covering the eye. She does not have to have all the symptoms. So if she has inflammation in the neck, or the ear, then it could be affecting her eye.

She also should have a tear test done. If the cyst is still there, or even if it is not, her tear production could be low. The test takes 60 seconds for each eye. If her eyes are dry, then she can be put on a medication to help increase her tear production. It would be a life long medication.

I am not sure if the pale gums are related to old age. I would need to wait for the results of her blood test. If she is in heart failure, then that would be due to old age.

Dogs can get cysts at any age. Tumors are more common as they get older.

Lack of tear production is more common in older dogs.

If her gums, and tongue, have just recently turned pale, she needs to go to the emergency clinic now. The pale gums are a sign of a serious condition that needs to be treated right away.

Hopefully you can read this and it went through. Sorry for the delay but I had to re-type it.

Now, if you have any additional questions, please click "reply." Thanks!

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Koi. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby