Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My chihuahua jumped out of my arms and fell on his back on

a step. He got right...
My chihuahua jumped out of my arms and fell on his back on a step. He got right up afterwards and looked shocked but had been running around and jumping since. I felt all along his body and he is not crying or yelping when I touch him. Could there be complications later or would it be obvious now if he was injured in some way. He is fine but I can't stop crying'
8/4/2012
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is he limping or dragging either of his back legs?

Does he seem to be uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly?
No on both counts
THanks for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear about the fall as I am sure you are very worried about your Chihuahua. The good news that he sounds like he is doing fine so far. IF he would have broken a bone or injured something I would have expected him to start limping almost immediately or at least show you some pain that he was feeling. More then likely the worst case scenario is that he may have bruised his back or his muscles in the area. This may show up after 12-24 hours, but I would not expect him to have any serious pain or problems where he will not be able to walk. He really should be fine!

Overall I would watch him for any limping or dragging of his hind legs today. If he seems to be acting somewhat uncomfortable you could give him some pain medication at home to help him out. The safest pain medication that you may have at home is aspirin. The dose is about 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. THis is generally very safe though some dogs will develop an upset stomach. Therefore if you see any vomiting or diarrhea I would stop the aspirin.

Overall he sounds like he really should be fine as he would have started to limp or act painful already if there was something seriously wrong.

Hope this helps -please feel free to reply if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please do not hesitate to click on the "excellent service" button as this will compensate me for my time. Thank you in advance!
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
He is all fine thank you so much!
You are very welcome! Glad to hear that the little guy is doing well.
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian