Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

my dog has been prescribed tiacil her eyes look sore and are…

my dog has been prescribed...
my dog has been prescribed tiacil her eyes look sore and are bloodshot both eyes there is only 5ml in the bottle can you suggest any thing else to help her. thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2012
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Can you describe the eyes in more detail?

2) Were there any tests performed on the eyes?

3) Are both eyes equally affected?

4) Is there discharge from the eyes, squinting, or abnormal pupil sizes?

-
1eyes red in the white part and she looks as thouh she is tired with her eyes half shut 2 the vet just looked at her eyes 3 yes both eyes are the same thers is discharge but im not sure whether they are just watering some times a bit thick
When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if the tear production is normal (Schirmer - LINK HERE)
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein - LINK HERE)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma (LINK HERE)
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

That will help determine if there is an infection of the cornea or ulcer of the cornea, if there is a dry eye tear formation problem (LINK HERE), and importantly to rule out glaucoma.

If further information is needed, most veterinarians will refer you to an eye specialist

This is because they are trained in this specialty and have special equipment, such as a slit lamp to get a much better look in the eye.

Based on those tests, we can have a very clear understanding of the eye abnormality and know how we can treat this well and effectively.

Other options for care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second option is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery stor or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- Antihistamines - an example being Benadryl (LINK HERE).

- Testing to see if there are other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE)

I hope this helps! Please REPLY if more information is needed.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

thank you for your advice i shall try cvs eye wash and eye drops.thanks again this was helpful.
Glad to help!

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Hi Rita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist