Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My goldfish has blotted to three time its normal size can…

My goldfish has blotted to...
My goldfish has blotted to three time it's normal size can you tell me if there is anything I can do for it please
8/4/2012
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

We can commonly see this with an illness called Dropsy.

This is most often caused when the water quality is not good.

It is important to make certain the water is regularly changed and also make sure this is not from overfeeding.

Often we cure this with several steps:

1) Change 25-50% of the water and make certain there is a good vacuum / cleaning system.

2) Make sure the chemical balance of the water is good (chemical testers are found at the local pet store)

3) Make certain if the chemical composition is good - if not, aquarium salt is used.

4) A good item to get at the local pet store is a medication called "Quick Cure".
www.aquariumguys.com/quickcure1.html

I hope this helps! Please REPLY if more information is needed.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.
Water is cleaned weekly and has been checked and is fine I also have a othere goldfish witch is fine and a normal size I have a filter in the tank as well
If you would like further help - please do not give a negative rating and then reply.

Let me know if you would like to continue.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist