Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my beagle is incredibly bloated from eating a bag of dog food.

Customer Question
It was a new bag...
my beagle is incredibly bloated from eating a bag of dog food. It was a new bag 4.5 pounds I am not sure if he shared with my other dog or not. He is walking around in a lot of discomfort. Trying to vomit, but nothing coming up. What do I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/4/2012
Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Hello.

It sounds like your dog has "food bloat." This is common when dogs get into the food bag and engorge themselves. We can see abdominal pain, distension and nausea. It is usually something that resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours without any specific care.

The best thing is to get him seen and put on IV fluids for the next 24 hours. That will help push the food through by keeping his intestines hydrated. That amount of food will pull large amounts of water into the gut, so it makes them very dehydrated.

If you decide to just wait it out, I would give small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours. We don't want to let them drink too much or it will make the food swell, but we need to get something into him to maintain his hydration.

I would not feed him for the next 24 hours. After 24 hours, you can feed 1/3-1/2 of a normal meal. Once you're 36-48 hours out, you can go back to feeding normally. Typically the stomach empties in 2-4 hours, when we have food bloat it will take a good 24-48 hours for the stomach to empty fully.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
he is crying and walking around a lot...would digestive enzymes help him?
That is worth a try. It's not likely to help a lot as it's just going to sit in the big stomach full of food, but it may work on some of the food and speed things up.

A lot of the issue is the distension of the muscles and inability to contract back down more so than not having enough acid to digest things. The enzymes are ok to use though. They won't hurt, and could help.