Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My pup is 5 months old and has just recovered from a bowel…

My pup is 5 months...
My pup is 5 months old and has just recovered from a bowel operation s she had eaten gravel and small stones. Now I can't leave her outside for a second as she eats everything when investigating!!!! How do I stop this, wouldn't mind her chewing if she spat it out but swallows everything. She is obsessed with eating everything non edible. Any suggestions?
8/3/2012
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is very common in young puppies and there are ways to teach Mya not to eat things by using commercially available products such as Bitter Apple from the pet store. bait items with this.If this is not successful, then use hot Tabasco Sauce to bait items that she would ingest. You will have to puppy proof most areas and it will also help to get her a DAP Collar at the pet store.This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help her past this.

This site will have other tips:

http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/18/Pica-Eating-Things-That-Arent-Food.aspx

Mya will grow out of this luckily....

I live on a farm so using commercial products is not possible as there is too much space. Presently she has to be put in her kennel unless I'm with her. However how will she learn not to eat everything when I'm keeping her locked up! Because of the seriousness of her most recent surgery I can't afford for another inception

I certainly understand,Lynda....I had one client that lived on a golf course and the dog ate all the golf balls.I had to remove them 3 times before he got the idea....in most cases, they will grow out of this even when crated which is really all you can do now when you cannot watch Mya....

When she is out with you, take a coke can with pennies in it and when she tries to ingest anything, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!! Golden's are really smart and she will figure this out. Check the site I gave you too....this has other helpful information.
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian