Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

The guinea pig head is twisted to the right

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/3/2012
Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is he eating and drinking still?
Is he uncontrollably rolling over and over or is he just acting normally except for his tilted head?

Dr. Dan
He is eating and acting normal. Another animal a female also shows slight sighs of the same symtoms. We got these animal about 2 weks ago. at the time they were fine.
Thanks for the information, I'm sorry your buddy has this problem. What this is almost certainly caused by is an inner ear infection. The inner ear is located deep within the skull and so you won't likely be able to see much. When this occurs the infection irritates the nerves that control balance. When these nerves are irritated then he starts to feel dizzy and animals compensate for dizziness by tilting their head to the side. Since your GP is still eating then this is not an emergency. If you want your GP to recover the fastest with the least possibility of a permanent head tilt then you need to take him to his vet for antimicrobials and anti-inflammatory medications. This usually takes 2-4 weeks to resolve with medications. The best you can do is keep him quiet and make sure he as good traction so he doesn't slip and make sure he is eating until you can see the vet tommorrow.

For more information on this condition see this website: (this is for rabbits but it's the same principle for GP's) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=485

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Is this contagious?
Some of the agents can be contagious to other guinea pigs but likely not contagious to other species including humans.

Dr. Dan
Can we treat this ourselves? If so how? There is no Vet close who deals with rodents.
You really can't treat yourself, since the infection is likely in the inner ear this is not an issue for ear drops oral antibiotics are needed and most human antibiotics will kill a GP. You'll have to call around and find a vet who is willing to see them. If a vet has dealt with them even slightly this will be an easy case for them.

Dr. Dan
Thank you
You are welcome good luck to all three of you.
Hi William,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Guinea Pig. How is everything going?

Doctor Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian