Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

this afternoon about a hour ago.i found a baby squirrell that

my cats almost got.it looks...
this afternoon about a hour ago.i found a baby squirrell that my cats almost got.it looks like it had maybe a small bite on its shoulder but it doesnt look like its deep..no blood.but he looks to be about 6 weeks old i see alittle tiny bit of teeth.eyes are open and ears.fur.i got him in a box with a heating pad on low and in a towel.hes moving some and crying every so often.should i go get cats replacemnet milk until i can take him to this place we have here that takes in wild animals.or will he be okay without food through the night.and what all do it need..i can take him tomorrow.
8/2/2012
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I am Dr. Zoe, a licensed veterinarian here to help. Yes, you should try to offer a milk replacer mixture (which I'll provide) via bottle until you can get this guy to a wildlife rehabber. These guys are tough to raise sometimes and I recommend a rehabber take over ASAP since they can also get it evaluated by a vet.

Dr. Zoe :

What to feed? Milk replacer (either use Esbilac puppy milk replacer or Mammilac) and mix with cream: The formula is 1 part milk replacer to 1/3 part cream.

Dr. Zoe :

A good rule of thumb is to feed 5% of body weight, maybe 4 times/day at this age (if you keep this guy you must get a kitchen scale and weight daily to be able to calculate this). The best way to assess proper nutrition is by weight-no weight gain means not feeding enough.That said, this is all best done by experienced wildlife rehabilitators. After you feed, you must stimulate to urinate/defecate (are you familiar with this?)

Dr. Zoe :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

so i need to go get puppy replacement milk form petsmart and what kind of dropper what size?im not keeping him im gona bring him to that wild life place tomorrow when it opens.i have to many cats to keep him.but i just wnat him to make it through the night.so i figured i needed to feed.him.and what kind of cream do you mean..when you say one part how much is that.well i ready at 6 or 7 weeks they use the bathroom on there own.but i have done this with a kitten before

Customer:

i have a dropper but it doesnt have a nipple

Dr. Zoe :

Yes, you need to specifically get Esbilac, but I suppose if you are in a crunch then get what you can and make sure it is puppy. They also sell bottles that you can use to do this feeding that will be of appropriate size (you can use th kitten bottle). Since it is overnight you could certainly use a dropper. The bottle is much easier and usually not expensive (although remember if you buy a bottle they often need for you to punch a hole in the top...this is a frustrating secret). Cream is the cream you would buy for people in the milk section...they need this higher fat.

Customer:

and if i cant make it to petsmart what other kind of babys milk can i get or just the mamilic brand

Dr. Zoe :

With regard to "parts" you need to have some sort of way to measure so you have 1 cup you do 2/3 puppy milk replacer and 1/3 of the cream.

Dr. Zoe :

I recommend focus on finding "puppy milk replacer". Esbilac is a very common brand. Any pet store, vet clinic (even the ER clinics) and sometimes even target will have this.

Dr. Zoe :

I misspelled and should be Mammalac (this may be tougher to find).

Dr. Zoe :

It sounds like you have a lead on someone to take the squirrel but I will also direct you to this website for more info should you need help finding someone in your area: http://www.nwrawildlife.org/content/finding-rehabilitator

Customer:

okay so i will run to petsmart then.and i have seen whipping cream at stores and half and half..sorry to be so dumb at this but im trying lol

Dr. Zoe :

Whipping cream is what you would choose. And yes run to petsmart and find puppy milk replacer. You will probably see bottles in the same aisle and you can gauge if it is worth the cost to get one. Unfortunately, I must step away from the computer for a while to see a patient.

Dr. Zoe :

You are doing a great job...and this little one is so lucky you are going to try. I don't want you to feel badly if he doesn't make it through the night but it is possible he may have internal injuries even though we only see one small lesion. But you are doing the best you possibly can. Keep him somewhere dark and warm (a small box works well and if you have a heating pad you can use this on low heat but only put it over half of the are you give him so he can get away from the heat if too hot). AGain, I apologize that I must step away for a bit. I think this info should give you a good head start in getting this guy through the night.

okay do i jsut let him eat until he stops or how much should i feed him.i got the liquid puppy replacement milk and ceam
well i dont think he is gona make it he is opening and closing his mouth alot and not moving much now.but i did get some milk down him.but it doesnt look good.poor thing.i feel so bad.to top it off i had jsut gotten back form vet for my cat and he said she may have liver disease.i have done nothing but cry.well thnaks again for the help
oh my goodness i got back up to feed him and he is still opening and closing his mouth but not mocing..could he be paralized..well i will still take him to place to let them take him..i hope not sad little thing.
If he has made it through the night, then you have done a wonderful job! And I recommend take him to the rehab person/facility. They can make the decision if he is paralyzed or just weak (this is my hope).
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified