Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

A bat flew into the house 24 hours ago. we though we had managed…

A bat flew into the...
A bat flew into the house 24 hours ago. we though we had managed to free it. found it in sink in very weakened state, unable to fly. what can we do nto save its life?
8/1/2012
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian

Hi there,

In all honesty, the best advice is to leave it alone and contact your local Animal Control. Bats are known rabies carriers, so please do not put yourself at risk.

In many states (possibly all), it is not legal for veterinarians to treat bats due to the rabies risk. An after-hours veterinarian (emergency facility) may be able to euthanize it for you, but they will likely not be allowed to treat it. Typically, however, these calls are handled by Animal Control, who will come to your house, trap it, and euthanize it humanely. You will be very hard-pressed to find anyone who will be willing to treat it, even if by some stretch it is legal to do so.

I know that is probably not the answer you were looking for, but it is the safest one. I used to manage a Wildlife Medical Clinic, so I have handled many of these types of situations.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian