Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

What time in the cycle is she ready to mate?

Customer Question
What time in the bitches...
What time in the bitches cycle is she ready to mate?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Veterinary
8/1/2012
Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

There is no set number of days to tell you.

There are not usually ready to stand for the male the first week.

There are a couple of things you can do.

When the drainage starts to turn more orange, or straw colored,, then present Holly, to the male, once a day. If she is ready, she put her tail up, and wave it back and forth which is called "flagging."

If the male tries to mount her, and she growls or scoots away, it is too soon.

While she is in standing heat, breed her once a day or every other day.

Keep the male away from her except at breeding times.

This is the way to do it without involving a veterinarian.

You can take her to a vet where they can take a swab of the cells in her vagina. When the cells have a certain appearance, you know it is time to breed her because she is going to ovulate.

You can also have blood drawn on her, to measure her progesterone levels. This will also let you know when she will ovulate. This is the most expensive way to go.

I hope this helps.

If you have any additional questions, please click "reply." Thanks