Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

help, my hamster looks bloated" he eats, he is pooping,

help, my hamster looks 'bloated" he...
help,
my hamster looks 'bloated"
he eats, he is pooping, but cant fit thru his tunnels
8/1/2012
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.

Are you seeing him urinating?
How is his drinking?

When you feel his distended belly, is he painful?

How is he behavior-wise?
Normal? Lethargic? Depressed?

i have never seen him urinate

he eats, he hasnt been in his wheel for bout a week

he sleeps in one of the corners of his cage, because he no longer fits in the tunnels

Hi again,

Fair enough if you haven't seen him urinate, but are you seeing wet bedding to suggest he is urinating?

And just to be sure, are you positive this is a male?

yes, but like right now , no im not seeing or noticing any wet spots

and yes he is male , when it was really hot , he pushes his testicles or they are very noticable, to help cool himself

Thank you.

Now if we have a hamster who is unnaturally bloated but is passing a normal amount of food and feces through his guts, this means that gastrointestinal based disease is less likely for him. That means we need to consider enlargement of other organs of the abdomen.

The reason I have asked about his urination is to determine if he is 1) able to urinate (and doesn't have a blocked bladder causing distention) or 2) if his urination had increased (therefore leading to larger bladders more often, which could be a hint of hormone disease like diabetes or cushings).

Otherwise, enlargement of any other organ in the abdomen would like be due to a cyst or tumor (benign or malignant). These can arise on any organ within the abdomen (ie kidney, liver, etc).

In Dusty's case, without knowing when you last saw any urination and how long he has been bloated for, I cannot rule out urinary blockages. If this is all recent in onset, then you want to have him seen as soon as possible since urinary blockages can be fatal.

Otherwise, even our other differentials would really value from his being examined by his vet. They may be able to identify which of these is causing distension in the abdominal region or they may be able to pop the ultrasound probe on his belly and tell you if this is fluid (like a cyst or a bladder issue) or if he does have a mass growing in his abdomen. Depending on the findings, they will be able to give you an idea if he can be treated and what his overall prognosis is for the long term.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for me assistance.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Hi Wanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dusty. How is everything going?

nekovet

Hello ,

Thank You for all your help , and your concern .

but im sad to inform you , we lost dusty.

i had called my normal vet, well my vet for cattle was able to kinda help,

but he passed away .

Thank You again for all your help

Wanda

Good afternoon.

I am sorry to hear that poor wee Dusty passed away.
With how quickly this sounds to have come on and the differentials we were concerned about for him, it does sound like we might have been limited with how we could have helped him (short of advanced diagnostics and possible surgery). And while it is only a little comfort, we do have to take some comfort in knowing that he did not suffer a lingering deterioration nor was he in severe pain/discomfort.

Take care,
Dr. B.