Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
18160762

dggg

dggg
Hi there,

Do you have a question?

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my puppy is 3 months old. she has been vomiting and having diarrhea for the past 4 days. the diarrhea is unbearable. she's losing weight rapidly. we were treating her for worms, but her last dosage of the over the counter med has been a couple of weeks ago. try force feeding her gatorade and water, but no success. im not financially able to take her to vet at moment, so are there any suggestions to make her comfortable until i can get her there. (2 weeks at the most)
Hi there,

Has she had any vaccinations?

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no she hasn't hasd any vaccinations. as i said before i'm not financially able to take her right now. we have two other puppies the same age and they appear to be fine. Beauty is very lethargic also.
OK, thanks for the information.

From your description, I am very concerned about infectious disease like parvovirus, especially if she is not vaccinated.

This disease can become very rapidly life-threatening to all of your puppies, and it is very contagious.

Because of the profuse diarrhea and vomiting, she will dehydrate very quickly.

Unfortunately, if it is parvo or a similar aggressive gastrointestinal virus, she is not very likely to survive two weeks without aggressive intervention. Puppies with parvo typically require aggressive fluid therapy, broad spectrum antibiotics, etc to have any reasonable chance of survival.

At home, your best bets are to get fluids into her by any means possible (canned food, broth or bullion, etc) and to feed her a bland food to calm her gut (2 parts boiled white rice to 1 part boiled skinless chicken). That said, this is only a stopgap and may not be enough to save her.

If there is any way you can get her to a veterinary facility, even a low-cost facility like a shelter, it will greatly increase her chances of survival.

Sorry to be so doom-and-gloom with you, but if she has been like this for 4 days and it is not improving, she really needs aggressive intervention.

There is more information on parvo here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/parvoviral-enteritis/page1.aspx

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh my goodness. well thank you so much for answering my question.
You're welcome. I am here for several more hours today and off and on for the next few days if you need anything else.

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello. i have one more question about my puppy's diarrhea. it is a muddy brown color. does that mean any thing worse than what initially thought.
Not necessarily. Blood, bits of tissue, and very watery diarrhea are worse signs.

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
two days ago it was very watery. it look like it was running water when she did it. now its diarrhea but its not as much. good or bad?
Hard to say without examining her. It may be decreasing and not as watery because she is so dehydrated, which indicates worsening. That would be my suspicion if she has been vomiting and had diarrhea for 4 days.
Hi Ella,

I'm just following up on our conversation about beauty. How is everything going?

Denver ER Doc