Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my dog has been dry heaving all day, but nothing is coming

my dog has been dry heaving all day, but nothing is coming out. he is also sneezing. I'm wondering about allergies?
we are fostering 2 kittens right now that have had a cold.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

I am sorry to hear about Tex.
Well, first, I am not concerned, at all, that the dog has acquired something from the kittens.

If heaving and sneezing, that is strongly suggestive of a upper respiratory infection. A prominent infection.

Heaving can also sometimes suggest stomach problems, but if eating fine, then I do suspect the heaving is related to the breathing problems.

This is well worth getting into a vet, as a course of antibiotics may definitely be indicated.

Now, if allergy induced, giving some benadryl antihistamine can help. Even if an infection, benadryl can help a little with sneezing.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Hope that info helps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I would be happy to continue assisting further, and do everything I can to be of the greatest assistance.

Otherwise - ONLY when satisfied - please remember to leave feedback by clicking on the EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS followed by “Submit Rating”
This is necessary, so I may receive credit from the website for my response, even if you are a subscribing member.

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX think a vet visit can wait until monday, or should we try to take him somewhere tonight?

Shoudl we try the benedryl first and then see if it improves? What course of action would you recommend first?

He has been eating, just doesn't seem as energetic as usual. he has been picking at grass also. when he heaves, his stomach contracts and feels hard. do dogs ever get hairballs like cats? he's a husky mix.

Heaving all day.
Plus, sneezing.

I definitely vote for the more immediate examination to get him comfortable, and to address any potential bacterial cause.

You could still give the benadryl, but also go to the vet.

His heaving may not be due to a respiratory infection. It does bother me that he is picking at grass and how the stomach feels.

Therefore, since we don't know if there is two separate problems, that's another vote for more immediate examination.

No, dogs generally do not get hairballs like cats.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

He has done this from time to time since we've had him, but it's been probably 6-10 times just today...i'm just reluctant to go to the vet right now since the only one open is the emergency clinic.

Completely understand.
Best judgment call I can make has to be based on the initial question which indicated that quite a bit of heaving was occurring through the day.

About the best answer I can provide.
Hope it helped.

Hi kier,

I'm just following up on our conversation about tex. How is everything going?