Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My guinea pig has stopped eating and hasnt pooped in a few

Customer Question
My guinea pig has stopped...
My guinea pig has stopped eating and hasn't pooped in a few days. It is losing wieght. Today it has barely moved. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/9/2012
Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I am Dr. Zoe, a licensed veterinarian here to help. I must start by saying this is a medical emergency and the fact she is now lethargy AND not eating means the absolute best for her is to take her to an emergency clinic today. These are signs that she is in critical condition.

Dr. Zoe :

Unfortunately, her signs (not eating and lethargy) are very non-specific and can indicate any one of a long list of possible issues. The absolute critical aspect is that she must start eating. I can certainly give you directions to start syringe feeding her at home and see if this helps.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do at home. I may not be able to get it in until Monday.

Dr. Zoe :

Yes, you can try syringe feeding her, but recognize that she is at a critical point when even this may not work. I really want to be realistic. To syringe feed you need to purchase a syringe (I recommend the 6 cc) at any pharmacy (no needle on the syringe). Then you can get people baby food of the fruit/vegetable varieties and feed her as much as she will eat with a goal of 2 syringefuls every 4 to 6 hours until she is eating on her own. Please keep her food available and fresh veggies also available.

Customer:

Should I try to syringe water as well since she doesn't seem to drinking.

Dr. Zoe :

You certainly can. It will not hurt. I cannot say that I expect her to take much.

Customer:

She seems to be losing hair as well.

Dr. Zoe :

The hair loss may represent a skin infection (bacterial, fungal or mites). Rarely if a guinea pig gets terrible mite infection that also leads to a paw infection, this can get into the bone marrow and cause severe systemic infection/illness.

Customer:

How is that transferred? She is in my daughter's room not outside.

Dr. Zoe :

BActeria/fungal come from the guinea pig primarily, except ringworm usually comes from some outside source...we can transmit to them and rarely a GP carries it from the pet store. For mites, usually the GP got it from the petstore or whatever source you had that got the little guy. I have had cases we think it came from the bedding. With regard to bedding, sometimes cedar or pine shavings can cause hair loss and they are not recommended; also can cause liver failure. What is good bedding is aspen shavings or paper bedding.

Customer:

We fed it fresh vegetables for a couple of weeks rather than the guinea pig food from the store and transferred back to the store food in the last couple of weeks. It won't eat the store food. Does that have anything to do with it?

Dr. Zoe :

Maybe. Could be the original pelleted food had something wrong that the GP detected. But at least she was eating the fresh foods. It is also a possible coincidence that there was something else brewing because GPs first stop eating their hay and pellets and last stop eating the fresh foods.

Customer:

Sorry, I have been having trouble with computer allowing me to reply. It also has a little bit of crusty eyes. Is a URI possible?

Customer:
Customer:

Are you there?

Customer:
Customer:

Hello?

Dr. Zoe :

I'm sorry I lost my connection and then another expert locked onto the question for a bit but I am back...really sorry about that. The crusty eyes is just an indication of an ill GP and not a URI. In general with a GP this ill if it was respiratory there would be difficulty breathing (obvious).

Customer:
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified