Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Is benadryl OK to give dogs to calm them down during a sto

Is benadryl OK to give dogs to calm them down during a storm?
Hello.

Yes, Benadryl is ok to give dogs as a mild sedative for storm phobia. The dose that you can use is 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed.

If that does not help, then I would talk to your vet about using Acepromazine or Xanax. They are also very helpful for storm phobias.

Lastly, they make Thunder Shirts now. I have a handful of clients that swear by them saying they no longer need meds for their dogs. Just something else to consider.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know where I can get a thunder shirt?
You can get thundershirts on Amazon, in pet stores, wal marts or vet clinics. I would just google it and find one online- it'll be cheaper there as opposed to at a store or vet where they mark it up.