Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I would like to donate my dog to science once she has passed.

I would like to donate my dog to science once she has passed. She is 12 years old and in poor health.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry tohear about this concern, but understand your forward thinking.

Dr. Andy :

Not all pets are needed at any particular time.

Dr. Andy :

However, what I would recommend:

Dr. Andy :

At the time your pet needs to be euthanized, I would inform the veterinary hospital of your intentions.

Dr. Andy :

It may be possible to have her body shipped to a teaching facility instead of cremation.

Dr. Andy :

But, that can only be determined at that time.

Dr. Andy :

Certainly, if you live near a veterinary teaching hospital, you can always make direct arrangements.

Dr. Andy :

Often, bodies are not needed because of the large # XXXXX pets coming from shelters that are never adopted and are euthanized. But I understand your well intentioned.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept” before just exiting chat. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

The best way to know if any school may take my dog once she is gone. Is to check with my vet or call the school in nyc. Thanks for your help in this matter. liz

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I think to call your vet.
Plus, they may have a better contact # at the university or can help you get the proper # to call at the university.